welcome to my blog. Sharing God's goodness with you in a wide and wonderful world.. so glad you are here.

Friday 15 July 2016

Mid Summer Musing

Some how it is already mid July and the sultry days of summer are upon us. 
                                            


June always passes by much too quickly, this year was no different. An exceptional line up of celebrations and milestones filled it though and I find myself reflecting on all it's sweet memories. 
                                                



Our youngest child graduated grade eight, so after having a child in elementary school for 18  years that chapter has formally closed.
                                              



Our son completed his high school education and we'll wait to see what the next step is in his learning process is.

                                                      

                                       (father and son)



Also in the celebrations were a couple weddings and an array of fun birthday celebrations. 
                                           


                                          my sister,beautiful inside and out..

                                                      


                                            The weather here has been very dry, and we would all love a few days of good soaking rain.
Surprisingly the gardens are not doing too terribly,although I did notice the peonies and most perennials not having quite the luster they normally would.


                                                            

I find nature's tenacity inspiring ...whether in drought or fair sunny weather the strength of it is marvelous, and not  unlike ourselves if we  plant our roots deep into real and lasting things such as faith in God and cultivating relationships with those around us.  We too can live lives of strength and purpose regardless of conditions that seem less than ideal.

                                                         



I love summer's quiet days, actually I should clarify and say I have learned to love the quiet days this season has offered. Years past there was no such thing here, as five children of my own inevitably brought many friends and children through our doors. Countless lunches, cookies and popsicles were served, and the barn, sheds, woods and tree house were privy to many an imaginary game.
                                                        



Those days have shifted slightly, while I never want a home where children's laughter doesn't echo; I know nothing remains forever in the same place. Time moves steadily forward and children grow up. 
There is still children here from time to time, but I'm also thankful that mine are trying out their wings in various forms, knowing home is always a safe place to come back and land.
                                          



This post came together in a series of days...since than we have had some rain..yah, could use more. 
I'm expecting two of my children who were away being counselors at a children's camp to arrive home soon with a barrage of laundry...
There is a huge banana cake cooling on the counter which will be turned into my son's 18th birthday cake...and the smell of chicken roasting in the oven.
My youngest is making something with the daisies she picked from my garden, and I am off to put a new coat of paint on an old chair I found.
                                         


                   the sign at daughter's graduation is a good reminder for us too...Right?



5 comments:

  1. The season of High School into young adulthood is a long one with so many children. I have four and only one remains home while attending community college and working nearly full time. My days have gotten very quiet and it took a few years for me to adjust. Our home was always full and I was forever busy, especially since we home schooled till my youngest two went to Public High School. Now my Summers become upheveled by them passing through on break from University or needing help moving again. But hubby and I have slowly settled i to a new rhythm of our days mostly just being him and I again. We are liking it. Though I will always miss our children surrounding us daily. I miss their voices. But thankfully they live us enough to return often to hug us. Give yourself lots of grace as you go through these years of constant change. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerrie. There's no one who understands better than someone who has been there. It is a strange stage sometimes, with no rhyme or reason to the emotions attached . Grace is good indeed, and their hugs the best..xo

      Delete
  2. Lucy, it sounds like you have been reflecting a bit too. I've been thinking of Jess lately, as she gets married soon. Happy Birthday to your dear boy. What a handsome guy he is. Yes, children always coming and going in different directions, spreading those wings, but they always seem to come back to us. The treehouse picture is delightful. Enjoy your children when they come home from camp, and I can smell the banana bread from here.....yummy. :)

    love, ~Sheri

    ps you and your sister look very much alike, sooooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could use some rain, too....
    I'm SO aware of the seasons of life and see you passing through some of your own :)
    Yes, the best IS to come. What a great motto as you enjoy the current season and live daily in confidence and hope. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always changes...and always grace!! Happy summer to you, Lucy!!

    ReplyDelete

thank you and blessings for words from your heart...